7.17.2003

Distributed Everything (the story... maybe)

Sometimes when I sit down to do this thing I don't get anything done. Actually I just ramble on.
I think today I'm going to blather about distributed schtuff...

I've always wondered why when new chip technology is invented, the old chips don't go to good
use in other devices. I mean, why can't every peripheral have at least a first generation pentium
processor that can handle any amount of data that can be processed. There seems, to me - and I'm
no expert on anything, that we scrap that old stuff when the prices come down and nobody seems
to think "Wow, that could be in my cell phone and maybe my 'fridge".

I guess people would say that I'm dreaming of things that are already in test mode and mobile concept
displays that visit shows. Some ideas I'm sure grace the pages of Robb Report and Popular Science,
it's just that I've always dreamed of this stuff. Now I see the ability to truthfully 'imagine' a beowulf
cluster of anything.

Why doesn't every home have a few computers all connected with giga-bit ethernet to at the very
least provide for inside entertainment. These devices don't have to be online. They could be the
end of a stub network, hidden under layers of protection. Ever since I telneted to a coke machine
out there at a campus from my high school class, I've become obsessed with that true hack which
can change things.

This is where distributed everything comes into place. The devices that are now connected, dead on the
internet is crazy. A PS2 and an X-Box could easily sit there and churn out solutions to complex math or
science problems. Microsoft, with one free cd shipped or downloaded freely from the internet could
possibly take the world over. I'm going to tell you how.

By shipping a CD which would update, yet preserve the necessary OS components which would
restore a functioning console that performs many if any function(s). Since their push today is the
world of DRM and multimedia, and controlling it, they could launch a platform that provides dedicated,
fast and cheap publishing of hot or 'pop' excerpts of movies, music, concert footage that sells coming
concerts... anything.

For further control and double-influence (a must for any Microsoft move) the service is all based around
their already implemented X-box Live and Windows Media Player solutions. X-box Live provides the
connectivity of the system - anyone already subscribing is included, making them happy and drawing in
future X-box and X-box Live customers. So what does Microsoft do to host all this media? Nothing all
the X-boxen will do that themselves. File sharing is already, what - the most popular thing on the internet
to do? People will love this part of the model. Free assorted, featured and controlled (maybe paid for
content such as full feature movies... more later) media. I love the idea of having a very large collection
of content that teaches the masses through well thought out programs such as the ones featured on
channels such as Discovery's networks and other popular learning networks.

More later... company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home