6.28.2005

CYGWIN Users Unite!

I don't know how many people use Cygwin out there - I've been a lamer for 10 years and just have started really using it a lot.

I've got to say though that it is freaking awesome. The rest is written to my Windows using friends: I can run a lot of cool shit that runs on Linux! I can run a secure shell in XP Home in like 10 steps, 12 counting the Cygwin install. The best thing is that it installs very easily. You can run X Windows programs on Windows XP! KDE, Gnome, WindowMaker, FVWM, they all have Cygwin ports out there.

You can summon Linux software effortlessly. If you know how to make Windows shortcuts, batch files and use the common GNU tools you can be up and running. Using shortcuts you can easily call bash and get your entry into open source software started.

If you want to be extra safe, download Microsoft's Drop My Rights (for Windows 2003, XP) . That will allow you to run the program as a "limited user" or not as an Administrator.

Sure beats dual booting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home